Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Lost In Translation

Well, the good news is I'm set to start on Lupron next week - which means the start of our first IVF cycle!

Let's hope it's the first and last. Not only for the glaringly obvious reason, but because of THE CLINIC! I know I've moaned about them before- poor Nurse Natalia's phone phobia has developed into a phone/fax and email one. Boy, she really needs to get help. How am I supposed to communicate with her? Smoke signals? Carrier Pigeon? Owl?

I think the problem is that the clinic is Russian owned and run, and so Nurse Nat can just about string a sentence together in English. I'm sure if I could converse in Russian, she's answer my questions fully. If I ask open questions, she's stuck (an example: "So Natalia do what happens when I next come into the clinic?" NN "Well, it depends". "Depends on what, NN? "I do bloods and ultrasound day 21. If ok, you start medication" "What medication, NN?" "Well, that depends...") See what I mean? I finally called the front desk and asked for a copy of the prescription to be faxed over, and called the insurance myself. Another thing NN didn't tell me was that the meds are all injectables (although I'd worked this out by reading other info online). So I call back, and...shock..NN picks up again! "Can I arrange my injectable lesson with you NN?" "No, I do not do lesson" " I thought you were my IVF coordinator?" "Yes, that is correct." Finally, I give in and call the front desk again, who tell me that a different nurse does the injectable lessons.
$15,000 they're charging me readers, and they really can't answer my questions.

2 comments:

Urban Ennui said...

Hi NAJM. I'm glad you're able to become proactive, finally. What a relief! I'm thinking that I will need to start taking action myself. The two-week wait sucks - at least during nidda, I can go jogging and out to party. :)

Rachel Inbar said...

I hope their treatment is better than their communication...

As for learning to inject - check out infertilefantasies.blogspot.com - she's got links to a bunch of youtube films that explain it and, seriously, it's not that big a deal...